Some information regarding the Coats of Arms on this site

 

A Bonitz family coat of arms - Click to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This family coat of arms was taken from the book "Das große Buch der Wappen" (The large book of coats of arms) by Ottfried Neubecker. (Credits to André Bonitz.) It can also be found in the extensive Siebmacher registry of coats of arms.

The two birds in the centerpiece show a remarkable similarity to the Zwönitz (Saxony) coat of arms. The family coat of arms is actually assigned to a Bonitz family whose roots are in Kühnhaide, which today is integrated in the city of Zwönitz.


Another representation of the before mentioned coat of arms shows a frontal view including a colouring that corresponds to the shading of the first version.
This coat of arms was registered in 1962 by Peter-Michael Bonitz, assigning it to the descendants of Friedrich Gottlob Bonitz (1773-1840). His direct line can be traced back to Jorg Boniz (* abt. 1480), farmstead owner in Kühnhaide (today: Zwönitz) in Saxony.

Further details regarding the meaning of the symbols and the detailed history of this coat of arms are not known yet.

A Bonitz family coat of arms - Click to enlarge

Click image to enlarge



City of Zwönitz - coat of arms
City of Zwönitz - coat of arms

The images show the Zwönitz coat of arms in two different variations.
They show a blue parrot sitting on a trifold hill. The origin of these city arms is related to the history and the close proximity to the Grünhain monastery:

Zwönitz was assigned to the Cistercian monastery Grünhain since approx. 1252. The city's coat of arms and seal were given to Zwönitz in 1475 by abbot Johannes Funke. The Grünhain monastery was founded in 1235 by monks from the Sittichenbach monastery, Mansfeld district. "Sittich" in German means parakeet or parrot. Therefore, the Sittichenbach monastery had two parrots in their coat of arms since 1362, and consequently this symbol was passed on to the new property Zwönitz.

An other legend tells that the city councilmen once were extremely undisciplined during a council meeting. As they were yelling all over the room, the abbot said they went on like a flock of parrots. This is how the city got its bird in the coat of arms.



Clausthal-Zellerfeld - coat of arms.
Today's city of Clausthal-Zellerfeld was founded 1924 by merging the two mining communities Clausthal and Zellerfeld. The arms were granted in 1934. The arms are based on the old seal of Clausthal, which is known since 1556. The miner's tools indicate the importance of mining in the area, already in the 15th century. The lion is the lion of Welfen dynasty, as the area historically belonged to Hannover, ruled by the Welfen family. The cross and crucifixion-scene are canting; a small chapel is called "Klause" in German.
The original arms of 1934 were simplified in 1955 to the present arms.

Clausthal-Zellerfeld - coat of arms

Last update of this page: October 14, 2003
© 2000-2018 by Jochen Bonitz